How to Dress for Your Body Type
Knowing Your Shape Can Help You Show Off Your Shape Fabulously!
We all know that fruits are a part of our basic food groups, but did you know that knowing your “fruit shape” can help you look stylish and fabulous at every size? I encourage you to own who you are, at whatever shape and size you may be, celebrate yourself and always “Dare to Be Seen!”
Apple shapes are round shaped women. Your waist is not defined, and you usually gain weight in your mid-section above your hips. Your best features are usually your bust and legs.
- Being that your bust is one of your assets, accentuate your bust by wearing V necks; the V-shape adds length to your torso making it appear to be longer. Low cowl-neck dresses and blouses also do the trick. Please ensure you’re wearing the correct bra size.
- Empire shirts and dresses are your friend, and by cinching right under your bust, they help to create the illusion of a waist line and conceal your belly at the same time.
- Wear flared and boot cut pants, which give you a longer, leaner line from head to toe.
- Belts – wear them at the smallest part of your midsection.
- Best Tip: Show off your legs; wear shorter skirts and dresses. They draw attention away from your midsection.
Swimwear Tips: choose a flouncy silhouette. Choose tummy control options and if you can find two pieces that have a baby doll empire waist top, it will be very flattering.
Pear shaped women are different from the apple; they gain their weight mostly in their lower stomach, hips and buttocks. They are smaller at the top and heavier at the bottom. Your waist is very defined and your hips are wider than your shoulders.
- No cargo pants; they usually make you seem wider in the hips and frumpy.
- A-line skirts camouflage your hips and make them seem thinner. Also wide legged pants and wide skirts will help even you out as well.
- Lighter colors on top and darker colors on the bottom will make you appear leaner.
- Choose blouses with ruffles, and cowl necks are great for you. Cropped jackets and cardigans also help create volume to your top area.
- A-symmetrical tops work well for your shape.
Swimwear Tips: wear prints at the top half of your swim suit and solid dark colors on the bottom. You can also do a print all over with a solid waist band to accentuate your small waist. Two-piece swimwear looks great on you, especially high-waist two-pieces.
Banana shaped women are women who are straight up and down. Your bust, waist, and hip measurement are almost the same. Banana shapes are usually slim in average but not always. They are usually an athletic build.
- Halter tops and strapless tops look great on you.
- Avoid square blouses/dresses or anything that creates straight lines. Complement your body with asymmetrical pieces, ruffles, or anything that creates volume on the top and bottom half of your body.
- Opt for brighter colors for a softer look to your athletic build.
- Wide legged pants and flared legged are a great choice.
Swimwear Tips: padded bra tops and halters are very flattering. Prints look amazing on you. Lace, ruffles and gathers add volume making you appear to have more curves.
Hourglass or peanut shaped women are usually the ideal shape. They are busty on top slim in the waist and curvy in the hips. Their bust and hip measurements are usually similar. Your shape is what others shapes aspire to be. The fault of the hourglass is the temptation to show too much.
- Accentuate your waist with belt.
- Choose jackets that taper in at the waist
- Pencil skirts and pieces that fit well are a great fit for you. You also look amazing in skinny jeans and boot legged jeans.
- Don’t hide your figure with baggy clothes and do not go overboard showing too much, but do show off your curves.
Swimwear Tips: celebrate your shape with colors and prints. You are able to wear a one or two piece. Old school, 1940s style swimsuits flatter your hourglass shape very well.
The way you carry yourself will shape the image others have of you and dressing according to your fruit shape will make sure that you are fashionably fabulous at any size. So whether you are an apple, pear, banana, or hourglass, always wear confidence.
Stylist & Designer for JA’IRE