Fitness Friday: Diet and Nutritional Tips
Think that lifting weights will make you look bulky or that drinking lots of water flushes toxins out of your body? Think again.
Here are some diet and nutritional myths:
- You can’t get enough water.
- No pain no gain.
- Weight training will make women look bulky.
- If you don’t feel wiped out after every workout, you’re not training hard enough.
- Cutting carbohydrates from your diet will cause you to burn fat faster.
- When embarking on an exercise program, you must increase your protein intake.
- Fasting is a healthy weight loss tool.
- Cholesterol in humans is harmful and has no beneficial function.
- A high protein diet promotes good health and a more attractive body.
- The best way to reduce water retention is to drink less water.
- Sugary foods consumed just before exercises provides quick, long lasting energy.
- Dairy products should be avoided due to the high fat content in them.
- Spot reducing works.
It’s important to do your research before believing in something you read about. For example, a big fad is fasting. Fasting is not a weight loss tool. In fact, fasting slows your metabolic rate down so your diet from before the fast is even more fattening after you fast. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is. Make sure you do your research.